Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Great Debate

Ok. Let's open this debate back up.

Ranch or Blue Cheese? Which do you prefer?

First, my opinions. I like both Ranch and Blue Cheese dressings. However, on my Wings, I strongly prefer Ranch of the two. Why? I don't like getting the chunks of Blue Cheese on my Wings when I eat them. Remember, I enjoy Blue Cheese on a salad or a burger, so it has little to do with the taste. To me, Ranch adds just the right amount of zest to the Wings without drastically changing the taste of the Wing. I think that dipping a Wing in Blue Cheese can take away from a really good sauce.

This is why when served Wings in a really good sauce, I rarely (if at all) will dip. I want to taste the Wings, not the sauce. This is why I am eating Wings for an entire month, not eating salads.

Although, I was very very impressed by Moe's and Joe's Blue Cheese because the chunks were at the bottom of the dipping cup.

Last year at this time, I was firmly in the Ranch camp. This year, I am less so. I'd rather have Wings that don't require any dipping sauce.

There are some hardcore Blue Cheese fans out there. They will argue that a "true Wing fan" prefers Blue Cheese. I prefer Ranch and I am clearly a "true Wing fan."

Still, historically speaking, Buffalo Wings have been traditionally served with Blue Cheese, rather than Ranch However, Buffalo Wings were not invented until 1964 and Ranch dressing was invented only 10 years earlier, so it is possible that the good folks at the "Anchor Bar" in Buffalo New York had never tried Ranch dressing.

Don't get me wrong though. If they bring me Blue Cheese instead of Ranch, I'm still gonna use it just the same.

Yes, Blue Cheese is the "traditional" dipping sauce served with Wings, but there's nothing wrong with embracing Ranch.

In the words of Les Claypool: "To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave."

1 comment:

SIMPSOYHOMERJAY said...

RANCH (especially if it is Ken's Ranch or Hidden Valley Ranch).