Wednesday, December 12, 2007

End Of Wing Vs. Drum Poll

The results are in (and very unscientific). The final results for the Wing or Drum Poll are as follows:

Wing--17 (32%)
Drum--20 (37%)
It doesn't matter. I'll do either--11 (20%)
I hate Wings!--5 (9%)


Now, some things to say. First, AMac voted that "she" hates Wings 3 times. This means that there were really only 3 of my readers who hate Wings. I'm guessing Phil, Jen, and AMac, but who knows. Secondly, the ratio of people who liked the Wing to the number of people who liked the Drum was surprisingly close. In my experience of talking to people face to face about this subject (and believe me, I do this a lot) I have found that people prefer the Drum by close to a 2-1 ratio, so I really have to view the results of this poll with suspicion. Plus, some days I have been getting nearly 70 hits, so the vote total is a little low. Please remember to vote once AND ONLY ONCE in the next poll.

Now for my opinion. I love both the Wing and the Drum. I really do. I do, however, prefer the Drum to the Wing. The meat may be less tender, but I think it soaks in the taste of the Wing Sauce better. I love ripping the meat apart with my teeth like some kind of caveman! And yes, the meat on the Wing is tender, but that doesn't make it better (in my opinion).

Here's something else I have noticed. Drum fans seem to be much more accepting of others' views than Wing fans. Heres how it works: if you tell a Drum fan that you prefer the Wing, you can expect a mellow response and it is likely that the Drum fan will readily agree to disagree. However, if you tell a Wing fan that you prefer the Drum, he will likely become confrontational, quickly. Many Wing fans simply cannot tolerate a different opinion on the matter than their own. And, this hasn't just happened a few times. This has happened again and again. For example, talk to Ben Allen and he will honestly get mad if you tell him that you prefer the Drum. He gets this look on his face like you just told him that he is adopted and that his parents don't love him and then he starts telling you how wrong you are and that the meat in the Wing is so tender. Ben isn't the only example of this. Wing fans are simply more militant in their views. I have been told by several people that the Drum shouldn't even could as a "Chicken Wing!" And, I got this comment on the Wall of my Facebook group from a Hagen Colbert (who to the best of my knowledge, I've never met):

"glad to see it' s that time of year agian.
Flappers all the way; drums suck."
This is exactly what I am talking about. This form of militant extremism on the part of certain Wing eaters is unacceptable and should not be tolerated.

I love the Wing.

I love the Drum.

I would gladly eat either one any time.

I just happen to love the Drum a little more. That doesn't make me any less of a Wing lover.


Look for a new poll starting Thursday.

http://www.ChickenWings08.com


Phred Barnet

No comments: